Most times, you get out of bed, get dressed, and off to work with a beautiful hairstyle. You choose to use a motorcycle to either make it faster or cheaper. Unfortunately, when you get to work, you discover on removing the helmet that your hairstyle is messed up. Gosh! Your day is ruined.
To avoid all that, you must know how to maintain hairstyle while wearing helmet by a few rules. Some of these rules are; tying a small scarf around your hair before wearing the helmet. Another way is to ensure that the helmet is your actual size and lots more. To find out more about maintaining your hairstyle while wearing a helmet, kindly read on.
- Wearing helmets is essential for personal security
- Helmets can cause hair thinning
- You can use a thin cloth or scarf as a layer between your hair and the helmet.
- Avoid wearing your helmet on wet hair.
- There are suitable hairstyles for motorcycle riders
- Proper maintenance of your helmet will help you maintain your hairstyle
- Helmets are not bad but could be harmful if used wrongly and for a prolonged duration.
- Are Motorcycle Helmets Bad For Hair?
- How to Maintain Hairstyle While Wearing Helmet
- Best Hairstyles for Men and Women Who Ride Motorcycles
- Suitable Hairstyle for Men
- How Can I Take Care Of My Hair While Wearing Helmet?
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Are Motorcycle Helmets Bad For Hair?
It hasn’t been proven medically that Helmets are bad for hair. But if used for long periods, it could lead to dandruff. Dandruff is a result of accumulated sweat on the hair. Also, if you wear your helmet for a longer duration, it results in “Traction Alopecia.”
Traction Alopecia is a process in which your front hair automatically stops growing. This is because their roots have become too close to the skin surface, which makes them lose their anchoring in the scalp.
How to Maintain Hairstyle While Wearing Helmet
Learning how to maintain Hairstyle while wearing Helmet is essential, especially when you are going to a function or going to work. You don’t want to get there and look all tattered. There are various ways to use your helmet and still maintain your hairstyle. Some of them include;
Use A Scarf
A scarf is a small piece of cloth that can be used to tie around the hair. It comes in handy if you want to maintain your hairstyle while wearing your helmet. Use the scarf to tie around your hair before wearing the helmet. This will prevent friction between your hair and the helmet.
Also, the scarf will serve as a layer and soak up the sweat from your hair. Accumulated sweat under the helmet can make your hair smell and breed microorganisms, which in turn can cause further damage.
Be on Suitable Hairstyles.
Some hairstyles are not suitable for motorcycle riders. These hairstyles can pose many difficulties while riding and upset you whenever you take off your helmet. Therefore it is advisable to be on the best hairstyles for helmets. Some of these suitable hairstyles are; Ponytail, Low buns, etc.
Good Quality Helmet
To maintain your hairstyle while wearing a helmet, you must invest in a quality helmet. Not just a quality helmet but the correct size that will fit your head. This will prevent the helmet from falling off your head at every obstruction.
There are a lot of helmets in the market, but just a few are of good quality. Thankfully you can still get motorcycle helmets under 300 and get the result you expect. These helmets are of superior quality and made with advanced fiberglass composite.
Clean Your Helmet Regularly
Regular use of your helmet exposes it to dust, sweat, etc. This can cause infection to your hair and also deter your visuals while riding. Therefore it is advisable to clean your helmet daily. This will prevent rust and microorganisms from breeding.
Correct Sized Helmet
If you want to maintain your hairstyle while wearing a helmet, go for the correct helmet size. If it’s too big, it will often fall off your head, pull off some strands, and spoil your hairstyle. But if you get the accurate size that fits your head, it won’t fall off. Rather it will hold your hair strands and keep your hairstyle intact.
Keep a Clean Hair
Most people find it very difficult to keep their hair clean. They rather just bathe their bodies and comb their hair without washing. Some ladies see it as an extra cost to wash their hair at the salon. As difficult as it may seem, it is one of the ways you can maintain your hairstyle while wearing a helmet.
The scalp secrets a substance called “sebum.” This sebum, if not washed out, gradually builds up and makes the hair oily. With its increased build-up, microorganisms begin to feed on it. Therefore causing dandruff and hair loss.
When you wear your helmet on a hair filled with dandruff, there is no telling what could happen. It will automatically lead to hair loss and a tattered hairstyle whenever you take your helmet off.
When you wear your helmet, there is always friction between your hair and the helmet. This friction comes from the inner layer of the helmet and your hair. Constant friction leads to hair damage and loss. It is therefore advisable to apply a little moisture to your hair.
This moisture helps to reduce friction and keeps your hair in good shape. When you take off the helmet, the hair strands won’t stand but remain in good style.
Don’t Wear Your Helmet On Wet Hair
Wet hair has a way of breeding bacteria. Especially when there is a warm environment around it. When you wear your helmet on wet hair, the helmet automatically obstructs the flow of air. This creates a warm environment and encourages the growth of germs.
These germs, in turn, cause infection on the scalp. Which results in hair loss and hair damage. It is therefore advisable not to wear your helmet on wet hair. This is one of the major rules/steps to maintain your hairstyle while wearing a helmet.
Best Hairstyles for Men and Women Who Ride Motorcycles
Your choice of hairstyle when riding a motorcycle either makes you beautiful or ugly when you pull it off. For men and women who ride motorcycles, some hairstyles are best for them. Some of these hairstyles are; Wrapter, Ponytails, Low buns, etc.
- Wrapter: This is a lovely hairstyle that allows you to pack your hair into a ponytail. After packing the hair together, you use a wrapter to hold the hair. The wrapter is fixed horizontally, and you have your hair looking all lovely.
- Low Buns: This is a hairstyle in which you pack the hair backward, then roll it up in the form of a doughnut. It is termed the best hairstyle for motorcycle riders, as it fits the helmet properly.
- Pony Tail: This is one of the best hairstyles for motorcycle riders. It fits perfectly under the helmet. There is no visual obstruction whatsoever. Ponytail comes in the form of a tail behind the head. You pack your hair all back, then knot it into a tail form. This prevents your hair from flying with the wind and possible hair breakage.
Suitable Hairstyle for Men
- Low cut: When your hair is cut very low, with no hair protruding behind or in front, you’re on low cut. This is one of the most suitable hairstyles for men who ride motorcycles. This is because it fits the helmet perfectly.
- Slicked back hair: This is also one of the best hairstyles for men who ride, as it allows more ear space on the helmet. Your hair is trimmed on both sides, and the middle part is left untouched. You comb only the center part.
How Can I Take Care Of My Hair While Wearing Helmet?
It’s always a good idea to wear a helmet, especially when you are riding a motorcycle or bike. It is essential for your safety. On the other hand, your hair is important too because it goes from making us look good to protect our scalp from harm.
Therefore you must know how to take care of your hair while wearing a helmet. You may be tempted to ride without a helmet just to protect your hair. But the truth is your riding without a helmet is dangerous. Your hair will break because it is flying with the force of the wind.
Also, riding without a helmet, dust will accumulate on your hair, plus you could have a head injury from unforeseen accidents. There are various ways you can take care of your hair. Some of them are discussed below;
- Place a thin piece of cloth (scarf) in between your hair and the helmet. This will help reduce the friction from the helmet on the hair—especially the small strands of hair at the front. The thin cloth (scarf) will protect it from direct contact with the helmet.
- Ensure your helmet is the actual size for your head. Avoid using a helmet that is bigger or smaller than your head. The actual size makes it fit better and prevents it from falling off occasionally.
- Wash your hair regularly, especially after wearing a helmet for longer hours. This will help eradicate the smell and possible cause of dandruff.
- Pack your hair in knot style and roll it up into the shape of a bun. This will prevent your hair from breaking off with the force of the wind while riding.
- When taking off your helmet, apply extra care to avoid pulling off your hair with the helmet.
- Avoid using someone else’s helmet. Their hygiene is not guaranteed. It can transfer germs and bacteria to your hair.
- Always keep your helmet clean.
- Regular intake of a healthy diet. This will help your hair stay healthy. And prevent hair loss.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can Helmet Cause Hair Thinning?
A helmet can cause hair thinning if used wrongly. It is therefore advisable to take proper care of your hair while wearing a helmet. Don’t wear or take off your helmet carelessly.
Does A Helmet Cause Dandruff?
Wearing a helmet is essential for personal security. But the truth is, it also has its side effects. A helmet can cause Dandruff. This is because a helmet obstructs the flow of air on the head. This obstruction aggravates sweat and, in turn, causes dandruff.
Do Helmets Ruin Hair?
Helmets ruin the hair, especially when you don’t take proper care of your hair while wearing a helmet. So, you must maintain proper hair hygiene, use good quality helmets and always apply protective hair creams to preserve the strands.
Every motorcycle rider should know How to maintain hairstyle while wearing helmet. Taking care of your hair while wearing a helmet is essential to avoid hair damage, thinning or scattered or unkempt-looking hairstyles.
You can use a thin cloth or scarf to tie around your hair before wearing a helmet. Also, proper helmet maintenance will help maintain your hairstyle. As we’ve discussed above, there are many benefits to maintaining your hairstyle while wearing helmets.